Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Garage Sale

Well, yesterday was our big garage sale. I have never had a garage sale before. What an experience. It was supposed to be from 9-6, but when I got up at 7 and went outside to set things up, there were already 2 people in my driveway waiting to buy things. Within half and hour a professional book buyer had come by and purchased almost all of my books. Then Diego woke up.
Probably 20 people showed up before I was even supposed be open. Most people were very nice. A lot of families came by. There was a noticeable, um, shrinkage, but that's ok. Around 11 Kira, Ryan, Rebecca, Ryan, Grandma and Grandpa showed up. And then we went to Sushi.
So, the best part about having the garage sale yesterday was the fact that it was the hottest day of the year so far. It was 110 degrees F. That is 39.3 degrees C, by the way. And that measurement was taken in the shade. It wasn't actually that bad. If you keep wet, California heat is tolerable.
And I was amazed that Grandpa did so well in the heat. I guess he did grow up in central valley California. Grandpa and I sat outside together in the worst heat
At 6pm it was still about 107 F. So I threw a BBQ for my neighbors. Yeah. Working over a fire on the hottest day of the year. Not a good idea.
Still, everybody had fun. I ended up making $360. And now I don't have nearly as much stuff to sell.

No comments: