Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Last Post From Asia

Well, that's it. Tomorow I leave Japan, which concludes the Asia portion of my trip. However, I have decided to keep up this blog. I have several reasons for this. The biggest reason is I have discovered is that keeping this blog makes me live a fuller life. Just like when I run, if I think other people are watching, I perform better. I have been thinking about all of the things I have done on this trip, and I don't think I would have done as much or have such fond memories if not for this blog. The second major reason I wish to maintain it is for memory purposes. I enjoy being able to go back and jog my memory. Thank you to everyone who has been reading along. I really appreciate your comments; even the ones I don't understand.

So, I have some final observations about this trip. These are the things I learned, in no particular order:

American English, when spoken, is spoken loudly
Japanese people rarely look alike
Sharing food with healthy people will not make you sick
A "date" in Japan means something very diffrent
Whale tastes like dry duck meat
There are some really, really kind people in the world...
and some jerks, too
Deer farts smell terrible
Japanese sunscreen feels awful, but works well
Japan needs more trashcans
Senior Yakuza are well behaved and polite
You cannot mail throwing stars to the US
World Expos are not worth your time
People that study foreign languages are frequently cool
Air over 70 degrees C is too hot to breathe
I can travel alone, but I don't really like it
Shin-Kobe has tons of Love Hotels
When you travel in Asia, bring your own garlic

I'm sure that I learned some other stuff too, but all that stuff is harder to put into words. And that is it from Asia. As long as I make it home safely, this will be the best trip of my life.

Wish me luck. I have only about 2000 more yen, and that has to feed me tomorow and get me to the airport.

By the way, Mom and Dad, plan to pick me up at the airport at 10:20 on the 3rd of August. I arrive on Aloha flight 104. My flight from Narita to Honolulu is United flight 880, leaving at 19:00 on the 3rd and ariving at 7:20 on the 3rd (thanks to the international dateline).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Trenton,

Have a safe flight back to the States! I'm glad to have you in the program. You're awesome!

Take care,

Katrine = )