Thursday, June 16, 2005

Just an Update

Just leaving a post to keep you updated. I'm doing alright. Have a terrible case of the runs, and a dry cough, and less energy, but aside from that I'm nearly back to normal. Got all of my school work done, though, and I got two of the 5 books that I am supposed to read durring summer session out of the way. Regarding these books, here is the review:

Naomi, by Junichiro Tanizaki. Very easy to read book. About a teenage seductress in 1920's Tokyo. Well writen book. I hated it. The main character goes from being kind of like me, and ends up basicly becoming the slave of a 19 year old nymphomaniac who openly extorts him for all of his money and destroys his self-respect. I wasn't too big on that transition. I also kept hoping that something would actually happen in the story, but nothing did. No significant plot twists.

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, by Yukio Mishima. Dificult to read. Amazing descriptions of the mentality of a madman. Really explores the concept of evil. Better than Naomi, but I can't say I liked it either. It is a book driven by well writen descriptions rather than action, and the descriptions go on forever. I have to say, it was intresting, though, and it got me thinking.

Yeah, so thats all I've been up to. Just trying to be better for Korea, so I'm staying inside yet again.

Consequently, I owe the Alkire's big time now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, that article about Mishima we read in Japanese 109 made him and his writing sound really interesting.

But I bet a lot of that had to do with the fact that he committed seppuku next to volleyball players.