Monday, June 13, 2005

Well, I found an electronic dictionary that would do want I wanted it to, in addition to everything else that a computer could do. Unfortunately it cost as much I as I would have paid to ride on all the trains in Japan for free for a month. So I didn't buy it. I also looked for a lens cap for my camera, with no success. After about an hour I had to get out of Akihabara. Since it is such a center for Anime, there was a constant screaching of female voices (the kind that some female Japanese language students in the U.S. try to mimic because they think that people in Japan are actually hyperactive sopranos or helium coated mice on speed). I still have a headache.

So on the way back I decided to go to Hiroo station (suposedly the one that is closest to the Alkire's house). I got lost again, but in the process I saw something intresting. So when I get lost, as long as I am near enough to central Tokyo, I just walk for Roppongi Hills. It is a colossal building that towers above the entire city, and from it I know how to get home. Well, as I was walking by Roppongi Hills I encountered this crowd.

Just then Tom Cruise stepped out of a car. Screaming started, but since I still had a headache, that was the last thing I wanted to hear, so I kept walking.

I then went to the grocery store and asked if thay had liquid smoke. How the hell do you describe liquid smoke in Japanese. "Kemuri no aji no shoyu" was the best I could do. No dice. And that was my day.

By the way, please leave comments. It's the only way I know if anybody cares.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just ask someone to mail the kanji dictionary to you?

Anonymous said...

We love keeping updated this was. It is a highlight of the day for us.Keep up the posting.
Fam

Anonymous said...

Hi Trent,
I read your entries everyday. Is this the mom living vicariously though her child thing? Yuck!

Anonymous said...

You carried all that stuff and forgot to bring a Kanji dictionary?!

Oh, how did the papers go?

I wonder what their equivalent of Borders is there.